View Single Post

Old 12-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default S&W Model w V serial number

Hello all, FNG here with an old S&W Model 10 found overgrown in the crotch of a cherry tree. It looked like a peice of pipe sticking out just a 1/4 inch or so of the barrel was visible, but upon being split - lo and behold it was a pistol. The grips were rotted and scince replaced. My father in law cleaned it up. He said it looked like a leaper, then did some type of amateur bluing.
This is the story passed along to me when the gun was given to me by my now past Father-in-Law. It is pitted and in sorry shape and rebarreled (sleaved acually it looks like) to .22cal
The Serial is within the Victory status as it is V5358XX. ofcourse the picture shows alll the digits.
I'm just checking in to see what the knowledgable say about the pistol and what could or should be done to keep it, restore it or just make it more shootable. It is "safe" to fire now but spits between the cylinder to barrel gap.
What other proof marks should I look for or that would help in the identity, year made and maybe a bit of history as to where it went in its life. It has a crown and BNP stamped on cyl and frame above forcing cone as well as crossed swords on the left of the frame w M & 2 on foward of trigger guard. 6 0" barrel as stamped on barrell and 22LR and what looks like 8 TONS .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1594.jpg (62.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1589.jpg (57.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1588.jpg (54.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1590.jpg (91.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1591.jpg (81.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by VaBarefootBoy; 12-18-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: additions