View Single Post

Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,140 Times in 3,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W ucla View Post
Here is a pic of King peep sight blade for pre-war guns (like one in auction). The hole was threaded, so you could screw in different size aperture discs. Works great in good light, terrible in low light. Without the disc, it was like a "ghost ring"
As those of you who are familiar with pre-war S&W target sights (of the later variety) will instantly recognize, the base of the King peep sight (that below the "peep" part) is exactly the same as the base for the S&W sight blade. You will then also realize the installation of the King item involves loosening the S&W windage screws, removing the S&W blade, and replacing it with the King item----and tightening the windage screws. Done. And not only are you done, but the King peep is now fully adjustable as was the S&W blade. No fuss, no muss, and no bother!

Ralph Tremaine

And assuming for the moment the gun in the auction (which fetched $10,000) is equipped with the King item (and noting any/all King items for S&W products were available from S&W on order), then the fact the gun fetched such a sum fair boggles the mind!! At this point we are left to suppose the fact only six RM's were shipped with peep sights supports/justifies such a value. And if that's the case, we are all more than just a little bit nutty!!

Chapter Next: And then, wondering where I got the idea there were six RM's shipped with peep sights, I went back over this thread----nothing. Then I watched the video again---and listened. Sure enough, the RIA folks said it was one of only six---and "documented" yet. I'm not exactly sure what the documentation is. It seems like a (also) documented lunatic fringe S&W sight nut like myself would have come across such documentation previously. I guess I just haven't been paying close attention. Given a few spare moments, I guess I'll go over Mr. Jinks' dissertation on the RM's----yet again. It is well and truly LOADED with documentation of all sorts of RM stuff. I hope I find the peep sight stuff. Otherwise, it way well be it's business as usual.

Last edited by rct269; 01-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.