View Single Post

Old 01-26-2018, 07:37 PM

Liked 3,766 Times in 1,540 Posts

A couple of months ago I ordered a model 63 3" barrel I picked it up and brought it home. I found unless and extra effort was made the hammer would not catch and stay back for single action firing. I had recently read, I think on this forum, about owners finding machining filings and other grit inside their new revolvers so I pulled the grips off to take a look inside. I noticed with the grips off the hammer functioned perfectly every time. Once I put the grips back on I saw the problem was that the back of the spur of the hammer was touching the top of the grips on the backstrap, keeping the hammer from traveling back far enough to lock unless and extra effort was made. In fact the top of the grips had a small indentation from the hammer pressing on them. I should have seen this first before removing the grips but no matter I tried to reposition the grips a bit lower but not possible. So, I took a razor and trimmed about a 1/16th or so from the top of the grips over the backstrap and the problem was solved. Not a big deal but it should have been caught at the factory.
Now everything functions fine on my Model 63, it dispatched a Copperhead that made the mistake of sunning itself next to my shed on a rare warm afternoon a few days ago.
Steve W.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: