View Single Post

Old 02-09-2018, 09:06 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,716 Times in 1,412 Posts
Default love them vintage scatterguns

I realize this post is pushing 5 months old, but the OP not only got a great deal money wise, but for a "working gun" at any price, even in the days it was new...I don't think you can beat the Stevens 530 line of S X S.

Mine is a 28" 12Ga. 530A with a 1953 date code. Left barrel is Full, right Modified, and there is not much this gun won't do when you do your part.

My other vintage loveable gun is the Ithaca M37 (mine is 1962) and this one is also 12 ga with 30" barrel to reach out for those "high flyers".

Took me a while after working with the Ithaca and its True-Glo front sight, to get proficient with the double ivory beads of the Stevens, but an "old gunner" told me....just shoulder the gun, and "if your holding true, the beads will form a snowman and you just pull away". I tried it several times and sure enough if I could quickly see the two beads as distinctive "separates"...I would miss, but when the front was clearly smack on top of the mid-barrel it worked more times than not.

Haven't been afield in many years but thanks for the post...maybe I'll see if grandson would like to walk around and find his own "snowman".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ithaca M37-1.jpg (206.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Ithaca M37-2.jpg (205.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Stevens - 2.jpg (208.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Stevens -3.jpg (91.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Stevens -4.jpg (205.6 KB, 22 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 4 Users Like Post: