View Single Post

Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Banned

Liked 1,609 Times in 660 Posts

Our club is pretty causal and it's just too much fun this way.

We don't have any classes, it's shoot what you bring as long as it's centerfire. We have two steel tables at about 15-17 yards away and we cut the top 6" off the pins and use two large bodies and 3 tops and stagger them and load up with 6 rounds. At the start, who ever clears the table first wins. Now for pins that are laying over but still on the table, that's 1/2 a point. So for example. if table on the right still has one pin standing and table on the left has two pins laying on their side, but still on the table then that would be a tie and we do a reshoot. We reload, and at the start, start shooting. Since we're shooting mainly the tops and two bodies at 15 yards or so we don't really need a large bore pistol, but rather something more akin to precision target shooting. But the two large pin bodies get heavy after a couple stages. I have hit a pin head yesterday dead center with a 148 grain 38 special wadcutter loaded with 2.7 grains titegroup with my old police trade model 10. The wadcutter sunk into the pin all the way in up to the base of the bullet, which I thought was cool. But it's not exactly a target pistol with it's fixed sights.

I have a 4" 686-6 357 magnum but 357's are overkill for this type of pin shooting so I use either my wadcutter reloads or WWB 38 special +P's. A friend of mine uses his 5" pre lock 625-4 that is deadly accurate and blows the pins off the table very well. But I would like a good excuse to buy a new guy. I'm leaning towards a 41 mag model 57

Oh, we also buy our pins used from local bowling alleys for $1 a pin. We usually get them in boxes of 500.