View Single Post

Old 02-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Liked 200 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeparture View Post
Thanks Ed,

I think both you and James are right about these stocks: they could be original to the gun. I took them out once more and BINGO! Serial number there is #35160.

As per SCSW, 2nd Model Commercials were produced from SN#32800 to 39000. So, this SN# is well within that range.

I guess this is as close as I´ll ever get to confirm that this is a second model commercial, but that´s enough for me. If we consider this to be true, then the only thing that still needs to be confirmed is whether the cutouts are original ones or not.

I´m adding a pic of the right grip panel. Looks like the first digit was stamped twice (I find this odd), but is clearly a "3" when you look at it through a magnifying glass.

You have a 2nd Russian and if it has a US barrel address then its a Commercial model. The serial number would have been stamped across the bottom like mine above - here is another example

I think its good news there are no remnants of a serial number of the sides of the cutout.

You see if the stock cutouts had been done outside the factory back in the day they would have given no regard for the serial number and cut right thru it leaving the first and last digits still visible. Your example tells me its most likely factory as the serial was never placed there by S&W because the stock cutouts were done at the factory.

There had to be an alternative spot for the serial or maybe it was overlooked? By the fit those grips look original and if it was my pistol I'd chance a factory letter based on the grip serial number. Again I'd reach out to JLeiper for some insight.

Interested to see where this goes.

Ed
The Following User Likes This Post: