View Single Post

Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Liked 9,314 Times in 3,723 Posts

As a rule, smaller firearms are as mechanically accurate as the full size ones. The issue is ergonomics, along with smaller sights and the like.

Some of the comments here are more than slightly uninformed. One that really got me was the loading/unloading issue. Good grief, administrative handling of that nature is almost never needed. Load the darned thing, holster it properly, and don't mess with it.

For me, a pocket carried (in a real pocket holster) modest size version of a service pistol is the answer. Sights are a personal decision - my G33 has the XS sights because of my eyes and needs for that pistol. Being undetected is vital. The students and other staff (including administration) have no need to know if you are armed, and should NEVER be aware of it until it is time for loud noises. Period. Even under our Public Records Act, one of the broadest in the US, I can withhold such information as essential to security, and pigs would fly before would I would disclose it.

Like home security, the answer is layers. There should be limited access points, all controlled. Once in, stay in. Once out, you're out for the day. Overcoming the complacent attitudes of the sheeple will be a chore, but make an example out of someone who fails to follow proper protocol with 6 months off, and the message will sink in.

Teach the kids about proper responses to an incident, like staying the heck out of the way. This is a real problem - I have experienced it, and so have friends. It is not at all uncommon to have idiots get in the way or stop to ask questions in the middle of high risk encounters - the correct answer is that they need to go some other direction with every bit of speed they can muster. If I am pointing a gun at someone and giving them directions, doing anything to distract me is likely to result in very unpleasant feedback.

In a critical incident, will anyone have perfect accuracy? Not likely, unless they have trained to a very high standard - think Cirillo, Delta and other SOCOM units, etc. The kids needs to understand that they should not get between any potential responder and the problem, because real life is a two way range. To the extent possible, armed resisters to the offender need to get as close as possible, and shoot him/her in the face, or in the back of the head or the back of center mass with no warning, and no delay. Shoot him to the ground, and keep doing so until you are reasonably sure he is not capable of fighting. These teachers etc. need to do a 40 - 80 hour class, in which they develop the proper understanding of the law and ethics, and a fighting mindset.

Is a pistol a good choice for a fight at any time? No. It is the only choice for most because it is portable and convenient. A Glock 42 with ball ain't a great choice, especially against a long gun, but is beats the heck out of strong language and those round nose scissors.

Cops: Some of us live and work in places where LE responses to incidents may be on the wrong side of laughable. Rural areas with a limited tax base may result in low enough staffing that 20 minutes to a critical incident is a great response, and under 5 will be a result of good fortune. 5 minutes is too long ... 20 seconds is pushing it. And that's 20 minutes driving like a mad man, under good conditions. Trust me; BTDT, and so have most rural cops. We have interlocal agreements with other agencies from outside the county to certain areas, because our response times can be measured in HOURS to those areas.

Second issue as to cops: since the AARs on Columbine, the training has been that the first officer(s) on scene go hunting. Plates if you have them, rifle, go. Staging and the old school SWAT stuff for a standoff is a no go. I used to carry a set of Sordin earpro that could be connected to my portable that also provided noise reduction for loud stuff, and amplification for lower levels. Get those on, grab my (issued) helmet, grab my rifle and a couple spare magazines, and get into the situation. And I was worried that those few seconds would be too long! If I was on the road again, I would have an SBR (11.5 M4) with a can, set up so it could slung up and charged while still in the car. Staying outside the school as was done was dereliction per se, and should result in firing and decertification. If their training allowed that, command personnel and trainers should be fired. This is not new thinking.

Don't agree with any of this? Fine. You have that right. Don't get in the way, because those who need to address the problem are going run over you, physically and mentally.