View Single Post

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 PM

Liked 7,787 Times in 2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog72 View Post
that Hammerless Colt holster looks like NOS. A 1911 configuration of a Tom Three Persons--- paddle rig.

I like it.
I know I can be quite a wet blanket; apologies in advance then. There really was a 1911 configuration of the Tom Threepersons and oddly, was not done this way. Have a look at the Brill for the 1911: Sam Myres 'Tom Threepersons' for the 1911 was configured the same way (minus the fender and cuff).

Nevertheless I do understand what you're suggesting and quite agree. Several Texas makers had a go at modernising the 1911 holster with welts that grasp the pistol frame only ahead of the trigger guard. It's understood that this did not begin until the 1950s. Brill could've done it so much earlier if they'd paid attention to what had actually been invented a half century earlier.

On the other hand, if you were to look up the definition of the Threepersons style, as parlayed about the internet, that description is not in it (the definition). Go on, have some fun with it; one can build a holster that is NOT a Threepersons but meets the definition; and one that IS a Threepersons that does not. One of these definitions is on the BATFE web page devoted to Tom; no, not because they're LEOs and not holster makers -- their definition is consistent with all the others you'll find (think John Bianchi, Charlie Askins, Bob Arganbright, Skeeter Skelton, everybody). We know better here thanks to the exchange of information that we enjoy; but virtually no one else realises (think El Paso Saddlery).

Last edited by rednichols; 03-02-2018 at 08:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: