View Single Post

Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Liked 182 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k22fan View Post
My first .44 Magnum was a New Model Super Blackhawk (SBH) that I bought used in 1974 for $150. It was to hold me over until my name came up on the waiting list for an 8 3/8" Model 29-2. The wait to pay full retail for the S&W was 2 years & 9 months. After I got my 29 I sold my SBH. I wish I hadn't. While the 29 was a good revolver it never did group quite as tight and the SBH was a lot more comfortable to fire standard 240 grain Magnum loads through. My next SA was a stainless Ruger Old Army (ROA) which, after a decade, I traded for a .22-250 varmint rifle. I should have kept it as well. I have replaced both and have other single actions. All but one are Rugers. The 7 1/2" blued SBH was a classic sporting revolver and the ROA remains the best black powder hand gun ever made.

Even though I enjoyed the spaghetti westerns they did not make me want a single action. Hollywood actors setting off blanks by fanning the hammer looked idiotic then and still look stupid. Notice in the video linked above that Clint Eastwood fans 1 blank toward the opponent in the center, then 2 toward the actor on the right then takes down the two actors on the fence with only one blank.
I remember buying my first ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt in 74 also. I had just read an article that said something like 44 magnum or 45 colt which is best. Think it was in shooting times magazine. Anyway when I got to the gun store I got really confused because they also had a super black hawk and a Colt SAA in 45 colt. I paid I think $135 for the ruger, the super Blackhawk was just a few dollars more and I almost bought it instead. Then they had the colt for $170 I thought wow that’s too much money plus I wanted to stoke up the 45 ruger.. looking back I was an idiot and should have bought all 3. Now those colts sell north of 2k. But I never regretted the fun I had with the Blackhawk and over the years I managed to pick up the other 2 anyway. Wow hindsight is awful!
The Following 5 Users Like Post: