View Single Post

Old 03-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Liked 6,628 Times in 2,203 Posts

My primary 12GA shotgun in my safe is a standard 870 Express (which has been carefully examined by a Remington shotgun armorer, as my armorer class wasn't as current).

It's demonstrated itself to run just fine in my range sessions. I replaced the original vent-rib/choked barrel with an 18" cylinder-bore barrel, and I replaced that bulky commercial woooden forend with a short LE-type plastic one. I'd reach for it before I'd reach for my Winchester 1200, even though the 1200 has a 6-shot factory extended mag tube. Why? Because I've got a lot of training & range time using 870's.

In my last several years before retirement my plainclothes car carried one of our older standard 870's, with the 4-shot mag tube. I didn't try to replace it with one of our 18"/6-shot LE 870's, even though as a firearms instructor I could've pulled some strings. Why? Because I'd inspected and puffed that older one out during an 870 armorer class, and it performed flawlessly in range sessions. I had it refitted with some nicely refinished older wood, too, including the short forend. I didn't see myself being at any particular disadvantage with its older era standard 4-shot tube. I could easily chamber a round and top off the mag tube to give me 5 rounds of buck or slugs.

Personally, I also tend to dislike the extended mag tubes for making it more difficult (or at least less easy) to remove the barrel.

I remember owning a Mossberg 500 Cruiser many years ago, as a younger man, with its 8-shot mag tube. That slightly longer barrel (to accommodate the 8-shot tube) seemed just a bit too long, at times.

Modern ammo development has given us a nice selection of 12GA loads, including those which might be better suited to various environments (including considering down-range).

I've sometimes thought about getting one of those nicely outfitted, fancier LE 870's the cop shops sometimes sell, but they don't really offer me anything that my existing 870 (or Winchester) couldn't do, and I only shoot the shotgun to confirm skills maintenance. No more burning through cases and cases of 00 buck and 1oz slugs at the agency's expense. My shoulder doesn't seem to care for it as much as it did when I was a younger man.

At one point in time a couple of the other instructors and I used to vie to see who could consistently run 4 shots of buck in 1 second (from low ready, chambered), while getting accurate hits on the threat targets at 5-10yds (so the muzzle blast didn't shred the paper targets).

For a while another instructor and I were often able to run 6 rounds of buck in 1.5-1.6 secs, but the "timing" of using the recoil to start running the forend was demanding. Instead, for my normal drills I kept it to being able to run 2 shots in half a second, from the low ready, or 3 shots in no more than a second. Less manipulation of the forend during which to loose the "timing".

Besides, I didn't suspect there were too many potential 2-legged threats walking around who would be able to withstand more than 2-3 centered hits with 00 buck or slugs, delivered that rapidly. Optimistic, perhaps, but at some point prudent preparation might become more like paranoia, right?