View Single Post

Old 03-28-2018, 08:08 PM

Liked 7,764 Times in 2,129 Posts

I decline to care more about another maker's customers than they do :-). Though somebody really ought to shake Safariland by the shoulders about all those reported accidents involving bystanders and police officer's Safariland holsters for Glocks with lights. Another accident his year reported already.

The thread is about boning; so it's worth noting that it only exists for makers without presses. Bianchi, Sparks, Galco though use a press first, then bone later, and I don't blame them. It highlights. Using no press, and no boning, is called 'block fitting' and is what Heiser did on some of their models 1910-1960; very old. A lengthy description is included in Packing Iron, quoting from Heiser.

More important is to drill down to the bedrock (my new favourite holstory saying) of why holsters are boned at all. It was originally devised to eliminated the high, rub spots of the leather on the pistols -- because virtually all holsters were made for revolvers. It was NOT created for retention; that is a beneficial side-effect and with a Threepersons, actually works against retention (because the tension of the welt being drawn against the frame by the unrelieved stress in the folded pocket has been released). Gaylord and Keith learnt that the hard way (44s don't bounce worth a darn).

And boning into the trigger guard opening is a secondary cause of customers reporting 'my holster's too tight'. I learnt that long ago and eliminated it; my trigger guard pockets (and I believe Galco's, too) are dead flush with the guard itself).

hi power may 13 (7).jpg