View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,206 Times in 4,578 Posts

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get it! Now........

I had a brainstorm - I was wondering if I missed the point totally and you meant riding out on the "range", like on a horse! But I see that far off I was not!

At the various ranges that I shoot at only the outdoor ranges permit shooters to reset targets. All of them require guns on the table, actions open, slides locked, etc. All of them are supervised or they are not open for business. So leaving a firearm on a table is not only not a problem it is required. The indoor ranges use electric targets or pulleys - nobody goes down range.

The only official ranges (not counting friends' farms, etc.) I ever got to that were "unsupervised" were outside of Durango, CO and Fort Collins, CO, more or less. There we shot what we wanted and when we wanted but due to the lack of supervision we all carried guns that were not with us for pleasure. If you follow my drift and I bet that you do.

For that long barreled smoke wagon I think you need a chest holster, for the range and for woods walking. Check out the Kenai Chest Holster or similar products. The gun is suspended across your body, easy to draw, easy to re-holster.

Whether a long barreled hogleg is easy to do any of that with is debatable but if you're tall enough that would be the ticket.

El Paso Saddlery makes a great holster for cross draw when driving but I am unsure if it will work for such a long barrel. I have a 6" barreled 586 and I have never attempted to put it in a holster. So let us know what finally works for you!
The Following User Likes This Post: