View Single Post

Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Liked 29,574 Times in 10,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bagger View Post
I read somewhere that the UK has the opposite philosophy than we do. Here we are presumed innocent, there you are presumed guilty until proven otherwise. Am I wrong?
Yes. See my post above regarding how violent death is treated. I have the inside track on the way things are done there as I was born and raised in the UK.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/139990023-post40.html

Since 2004 arrest means you will be giving DNA, even if no further action is taken. IMHO it's just a CYA for the times in the past when rapists and murderers were in custody for minor offenses then released AND to get a government DNA database.

The UK National DNA Database: Balancing crime detection, human rights and privacy

Relevant detail. Note the timing of the legislation.

Quote:
Third, a 2003 change in the law in England and Wales, which came into effect in April 2004, has allowed DNA to be collected on arrest rather than on charge. This has affected both the number of individual profiles entered and the number permanently retained, because they are kept even if the individual is never charged with any offence. This decision, made via a late amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill in March 2003, happened less than one week before the bill was debated in the House of Commons and during the first week of the war in Iraq, when it was least likely to attract public attention and debate.
Another shorter piece.

GeneWatch UK - What happens when someone is arrested.