View Single Post

Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,981 Times in 3,669 Posts

I really hate to add another speculation to the hammer mystery, especially because the origin of mine is also unknown; but the configuration of the spur portion of mine is virtually identical to this one.

Mine is on a Roper Custom----a Colt Officers Model 38. It was shipped off to Walter and his lads, who did their thing---grips/sights/action job (including the hammer). My hammer IS NOT a modified Colt hammer, although we (me and my fleet of gurus) don't know for sure and certain what it is. The very best deduction comes from Jim Carter (HONDO44), who opines it's Roper's design---made for him by Colt---and it's that deduction I accept. I accept it because it makes sense---most particularly when you answer this question: Who is best prepared and qualified to make a hammer for a gun----the maker of the gun, or someone else?

It's perhaps of no moment here, but there is nothing about my hammer except for the business end (and critical dimensions) which bear any resemblance to any Colt hammer (any I was able to find anyway)----and it's so light I swear it would float---and it's not drilled full of holes----nary a one.

SO---maybe your hammer is yet another example of Mr. Jinks' oft repeated explanation of the weird stuff we stumble upon now and then: "They (S&W) would do anything anybody would pay them to do."-----like make a special hammer-----for Walter and his lads-----or anybody else who would pay them to do it.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 04-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: