View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Liked 349 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
As most will know, the original guide rod is aluminum and a multi-piece affair. (way to go S&W, take a boat anchor of a gun and try to save weight with an aluminum guide rod, spectacular)

Two hundred rounds of hardball from one of my 1911s would send my looking for the pain killers due to my arthritis.

I wish Smith and Wesson still made them. If that was the case I'd buy one or two more and run them a lot harder than I plan on running this one. I don't intend for this to supplant my Berettas as my carry gun. However, I will be obtaining a holster so that I can work with the 4506. I like expanding my knowledge base and this one will provide an enjoyable experience.

I'm very thankful to the people who were kind enough to give me the benefit of their experience in analyzing the guns issues and especially to the people I've mentioned for supplying the parts necessary to get this old beast back in action. Cool stuff all around.

Now to find that 1006.
the aluminum guide rod is not there to lighten up the pistol. there is friction between the slide and the full size guide rod when the pistol functions, hence aluminum was used so that the guide rod becomes the sacrificial piece in heavy use. Keep in mind 3rd gems are the epitome of semi auto pistols world wide, so they were designed to outlast 3-4 generations of shooters. (75-98 years roughly.)

I am sorry to hear about your arthritis friend, as I know how my father suffers from it. Another useful feature of the 4506 (at least for a dear friend of mine who also had arthritis) was that he could pull the slide back by only using his index and middle finger on the two sides of the safety lever, much like a p08 Luger. Do that with an m&p or block...

Now it is the time to buy more, and here is why. when they were being produced, they were an expensive line of guns, (and very rightfully so, in terms of materials, machining, innovation, combat accuracy, safety features, size/ caliber selection and in general all those things that make a product top of the line) now, you can get them at plastic toy gun prices and even lower. Find the models you like, clean them up, replace their springs (cheap insurance) and blaze away!! Plus the added bonus of their prices only going up from here. Try that with a shield....
The Following 2 Users Like Post: