View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 AM

Liked 9,180 Times in 3,393 Posts

Herbert is most well known for his engraving at Colt where he spent somewhere betw 15/20yrs engraving for them in house.He also engraved outside of the factory job as a freelanse.
As an aside to that he ran a radio parts business,,kind of like a Radio Shack type biz, in Hartford in the earlier days.

He was W.Indies by birth, a Black man and probably one of few if not the first to achieve the status he did in the trade in the US.

A couple of the older gents I was blessed with knowing early in my career and who helped me along knew Mr Herbert.
They said a sip of his favorite cognac was often within reach while working even at the Colt bench.
Seems like I recall one of them telling me Alvin H was a amateur boxer also at some point in his life. I may have that fact wrong and mixed up with someone else but that's the way I recall it. Can't go back and ask any of them now.

His engraved lettering was top quality and he was often used by AAWhite Engravers Inc. to do just that on special projects and appointments for display and gifts.

His Colt time was mid 50's to around 1970.
I believe his s&W factory career was before the Colt factory time and was much shorter.

Lots of his work around on all sorts of firearms as he did a lot of freelanse work as well as the factory work.
The flower designs worked into the scroll shows up quite a lot in his work & in several different forms.

Beautiful CS,,the engraving really fits the gun.
Congrats on a fine acquisition..
The Following 3 Users Like Post: