View Single Post

Old 04-20-2018, 12:03 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,244 Times in 377 Posts

Good to hear that you're feeling better Mr. Kiwi. It sounds like you and your wife have been through more than most people.....

For those of us who are closer to the end than the beginning and are not indestructible anymore, this is a lesson that really needs to be learned. Most of us will just 'press on with pride' when we don't feel good. It's easy to write it off as not getting enough sleep, something you ate, being out of shape, or just feeling old that day.

Shooting actually gives you a measurable result instead of a "feeling". Not shooting well? Check the gun, check the ammo, then check the shooter. Your body may be telling you something.

My story: last month was the Arizona state trapshooting championship. Six days of shooting, 300 shots on each of the first 4 days, then 200 shots on each of the last 2 days. My scores were OK, but not where they usually are. I'd shoot well, then I wouldn't be able to hit the ground with my hat, then I'd shoot well again. It was like that for the entire tournament.

I wrote it off as simply being out of shape.

Two days later I had a heart attack.

It's been 1 month and 2 days since the event and all the associated procedures (heart catheterization sucks, by the way) and I really want to go shooting, but I need to build up a bit more stamina first. People keep asking me how I feel. I tell them that compared to being 21 (or 30, or even 40!) it's pretty bad. But compared to not being able to use the bathroom without help, it's great!

Hang tough Mr. Kiwi.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: