View Single Post

Old 04-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Liked 2,653 Times in 769 Posts

OP HERE:

My Stoner IWB Holster for my 3914 Lady Smith arrived yesterday. I do a lot of reviews online of firearms and accessories. The one thing you will notice about my reviews, I generally only post reviews about products I like and have good things to say about. In the case of the Stoner Holster, unfortunately I don't really have anything good to say. But many of you have PM'ed me and asked about the Stoner, so I will share my thoughts.

The problem with the Stoner IWB is that it is Big, Blocky and Bulky. The dreaded three B's for an IWB holster in my opinion The Stoner is so B,B, and B that it is easier for me to carry a bigger gun like my Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander in a more compact IWB holster, than it is for me to carry the smaller 3914 in the Stoner. This Holster completely fails to take advantage of the smaller size of the 3914; which means it is headed for the draw where holsters go to die. The pictures speak for themselves in regard to the Big, Blocky and Bulky nature of the Stoner:

You can pretty much fit a Desert Eagle 44mag in this Stoner IWB Holster! The dreaded 3 B's for an IWB Holster: Big, Blocky, and Bulky

The other two issues with the Stoner IWB Holster: It is not adjustable for Height or Cant. You are stuck with one position and cannot make the holster fit to your body or shape in anyway. As you can see in the photo above the 3913 rides pretty high above the waistline, higher than I care for it to. But I can't make any adjustments, so I'm stuck with the gun in this position. Let's compare the Stoner IWB with my favorite IWB Holster; the "Tucker Gun Leather Cover-Up Plus". I would have ordered one for the 3914, but they don't have the mold for the 3913/3914 LS, and can't make the holster for me.

What separates the Tucker Gun Leather "Cover-Up Plus" from all other IWB holsters I have seen, and the main reason I have ordered one for every gun I carry (or have carried), it is adjustable for BOTH Cant and Height. Every other IWB holster I am aware of is only adjustable for EITHER Cant or Height, or it not adjustable for either (all Kydex Holsters). It is also as minimal as possible and is not bulky in any way.

With the full range of adjustments I can get the gun and holster to fit me EXACTLY the way I want it to. Also, sometimes I need to adjust the way I am carrying my gun. For example I am wearing a tighter shirt than usual and I need the grip to be lower so it doesn't print or show. Move the J Hook up one notch, and the gun is now an inch lower. Let's face it, we are not all the same shape and size, and no one holster can fit all of us well. The more adjustability, the better for everyone.

The "Plus" version of the Cover-Up Holster is the reinforced mouth that makes re-holstering very simple. The standard Cover Up does not have this feature for those of you who prefer that. Just a little FYI, the Reinforced mouth does not add much bulk or size to the holster. You can barely tell the difference between a regular Cover Up and a Plus. The Stoner does not have a reinforced mouth. Since I prefer a reinforced mouth on my IWB holsters, that's another strike against the Stoner.

I have purchased holsters from many other custom makers over the years, and I always come back to the Cover-Up. I have just stopped buying other holsters altogether.

Next time you are in the market for a new IWB holster, if you haven't tried a Tucker Gunleather Holster, I strongly recommend you give one a try.

They look pretty darn good, and they hold up great. I have some that are a decade old and they still look terrific and are super comfortable now that they have molded to my body.

The OPs Favorite IWB Holster: Tucker Gun Leather Cover-Up Plus. Note how compact it is and that the J-Hook can be adjusted for Height and Cant.

The Following User Likes This Post: