View Single Post

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 PM

Liked 9,075 Times in 3,608 Posts

I have had 2 of the original round tray Lee priming tools, one large, one small, and have used them since ca. 1970 when I bought them. The "small" has literally loaded probably 300,000 or more primers and I have never broken anything*** on either of them! I have always kept all the wear points of both well lubricated with LubriPlate or other high pressure grease. I did replace the original Zamak cast connecting rods once about 35 years ago with the sintered steel ones when one of them wore to the point the lever would bottom out on the tool body.

I did buy two of the "Improved" tools when they first came out a few years ago. The first time I used them both retaining tabs on one of the tray covers broke off! No problem, just use the other cover, right! Well, both tabs broke off the second tray the same session. Gave up and just keep those covers on with rubber bands! Solution? I just went back to the two old tools and rarely if ever use the square tray ones. What a ***! Won't buy the Ergo, too much money and no guarantee they will work as well as the original style ones!

*** I did break a tool body just a few years ago, the top rim that holds the shell holder broke off. I had ordered a couple of tool bodies, which are the same for both the round and square style tools, so I just swapped the parts from the old tool and kept going. Still using both old tools with all the old parts I have had for nearly 50 years. Sorry so many of you experienced so mann broken and worn out parts over the years, its amazing what periodic cleaning and lubricating any mechanical device will do to improve its longevity!