Thread: DOB on .38-44
View Single Post

Old 04-27-2018, 01:49 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,521 Times in 577 Posts

I can go to my notes and get you the serial number/date of some other changes. Some changes noted were when the 4" HDs went to the small ejector rod knob, when they started flush fitting the hammer stud etc. They only made 95 6.5" Barrel Transitions and they had the 1 line address, large ejector rod knob and pronounced hammer stud "dish" from the specimens that have survived. It would be great to go back in time and ask S&W why they only made this many 6.5" HD transitions! Now if you look at the Transition 38/44 Outdoorsmans, I think you will find all of them have a 1 line address and large ejector rod knob and probably the hammer stud "Dish" and they were found in the S69000-S71000 serial number range. My theory on these is that S&W had soft fitted these before the war and then disassembled them and put them in the safe until after the war and then changed out the hammer and trigger and finished them and that is why the ejector rod was still the large even though they had changed it for the 4" HD. But as we see, there is not rhyme or reason to how changes were applied thru the transition period 1946-1950.