View Single Post

Old 04-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Liked 6,026 Times in 1,306 Posts

Tightgroup has become my “go to” powder over the last few years. I use it I. .45ACP, 9mm, .38 Special and 44/40.

In .45ACP the published max load did not make PF so I ended up going slightly higher. In 9mm I use the max load listed, although it makes PF easily it is more accurate than the load that makes PF with only a small margin.

Except for 44/40 all these Calibres use plated bullets. I tried TG using 230 gn LRN in .45 ACP but got much better accuracy with W231 so reverted back to the later powder.

The only other calibre I load plain lead bullets is .357 Magnum using a 100 gn LFP for CAS. Again TG was not as accurate as my old .38 Special load of 10.5 gn Mulwex AR2205, so I reverted again to the old powder (need to use .357 cases in my Henry Big Boy to feed properly but at CAS velocities).

Funnily enough I got better accuracy in 44/40 with TG over AR2205, but loads are mild (5.5 in my Uberti revolvers and 5 gn in my Rossi 92. (That’s just the way it worked for best accuracy in each firearm) As the revolvers are used for CAS and the ‘92 for Wild Bunch events I don’t get the loads mixed up on the range).

I do notices that cases are “warm”, especially the .45’s, but I pick the cases up before checking targets. And no leading with either plated or plain lead bullets.