View Single Post

Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM

Liked 2,746 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogguy View Post
Earlier this week, I got reacquainted with the reason I first got a S&W J-frame. It's gotten a little warmer around here, so a coat hasn't been necessary. When I left work one afternoon I had to run a few errands. I took my 642 out of the truck and, as is usual, I put it in my pocket. I can't carry at work--government building...illegal to possess weapons, etc.

I proceeded to the supermarket to pick up a few things. When I got out of the truck, I noticed the Pachmayr Compac grips of the 642 was showing. I tried to adjust it but those Compac grips are not really "compact". I had to pull out my shirttail to be sure the gun was concealed.

This got me to thinking. I have acquired several J-frame snubbies over the past few years. I got them for concealment and for pocket carry especially. But over time, I've managed to outfit all of them with larger rubber Pachmayr or Hogue grips. They carry fine in belt holsters and they are more comfortable to shoot but they are hardly pocketable anymore.

So I went through my gun stuff boxes and tried different grips. The rubber boot grips that came with the J-frames and the various other small grips that fill the area behind the trigger guard do not fit for diddly. I end up with a two-finger grip down low on the gun that is not at all secure. So finally I settled on the Smith Dyamondwood laminated grips for those guns I will pocket. They are small, thin and hard and they hurt like hell when you go through a 50-round box of ammo at the range, standard or +P. But the guns are now pocketable again and, after all, that is the reason I have them.
I keep one 442 and my 37 with the Uncle Mikes Boot Grip. These are my pocket guns. They get shot at the Range but, not as often and not for long. My second 442 and my 36 with bigger grips get shot way more and while they will fit some pockets, they are usually carried in the waist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E9765C9E-5B87-465D-AC52-4073B4ECFD97.jpg (83.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by haywood; 05-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.