View Single Post

Old 05-04-2018, 11:16 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,973 Times in 3,665 Posts

A Registered Magnum is identified by the fact it has a registration number stamped on it--------as was the case from the get-go. RM's (as such) came to an end shortly after Harold Wesson issued a directive to discontinue the use/stamping of registration numbers (October 16, 1939). At the same time, the barrel lengths were standardized at 3 1/2, 5, 6, 6 1/2, and 8 3/8"---no more pick and choose. Actually, there still was "pick and choose", but it cost extra.

5,224 RM's were produced. 1,418 Non-RM's were produced. 180 registered frames were never used, accounting for the discrepancy between registration numbers listed and RM's sold.

These words of wisdom come to you from Roy Jinks by way of me (this time) or anybody else who possesses a copy of Jinks' late 80's treatise on RM's titled "The Revolver that Changed the Direction of Handgunning". Let me suggest that ANY information concerning RM's emanating from ANY other source be viewed with a healthy measure of caution/skepticism. There are myriad tales from both old and young wives which have grown up to create an undeserved/unwarranted mystique about these guns. I view them as tracking with the definition of the oft used phrase "New and Improved", which I choose to define as NOT YET PROVEN TO BE DEFECTIVE. In other words if Jinks says it's so, it's so---otherwise, watch out!!

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 4 Users Like Post: