View Single Post

Old 05-04-2018, 11:04 PM

Liked 257 Times in 71 Posts

Ok. Going to try and hit the high points of a number of comments, observations and questions. I pulled the gun apart and here are my findings. Serial numbers on back of cylinder and yoke match bottom of frame grip. So I assume original to gun. I was wondering about the reddish color of the cylinder. Any more explanation?

The grips DO NOT have the number stamped into them on the inside. One grip DOES have the serial number written on it's inside surface in pencil. So any idea if these are original 1917 grips, aftermarkets, or what? Are they really worth $200??

Even though I know I paid too much for this pistol, any worries went out the door when I watched my 12 year old shooting it today. It was his first time with a big .45 acp and I think the revolver made it a bit easier on him. He actually hit the target, an empty small propane cylinder out at 40 yards too!!! Sent that thing 20 feet into the air. I guess it wasn't "completely" empty after all.
I did notice the trigger pull is a bit heavier than those found on the other SW 38's I've shot.

Just an aside here, I also picked up a simple old Model 10 with the thin barrel like my dad used to have. I tested it's trigger, and it is the lightest trigger on ANY pistol I've ever tried, both single and double action. I think I posted pictures in another thread, or maybe a different forum. I'm get confused easy these days.