View Single Post

Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Liked 29,165 Times in 14,102 Posts

Your V485855 is a very interesting Victory. It is possible it is unused by its appearance. I think I would not try to remove the packing grease (Cosmolene?) remaining on it. Delta did build Liberty Ships during WWII, and indications are that at least some handguns were part of the Liberty Ships' standard equipment complement, probably for the Captain, maybe some mates. I have no idea how many guns were sent to sea on each of those ships. Some may also have been intended for shipyard security guards, and maybe that is what yours was used for. These were sent to the U. S. Maritime Commission (USMC) but that surplus property tag is extraordinary and would add a premium to its value. You should definitely get an historical letter documenting that it indeed was sent by S&W to the USMC. The serial number suggests a shipping date of around early 1944. I list several other Victories with SNs not too far removed from yours which were also USMC guns shipping in the late 43-early 44 period. USMC guns had no property stampings on the topstrap.

Last edited by DWalt; 05-05-2018 at 04:39 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: