View Single Post

Old 05-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
OK, now we're getting somewhere. This is a basic function of the gun. If you don't know this, you have no hope of hitting your target with any consistency or accuracy.

The sights are adjustable. The rear sight is adjustable for windage (left and right) and the front sight is adjustable for elevation (up and down).

Here's how to do it:
  • Place a target at 50 yards. I normally recommend 100, but 50 will be easier for you.
  • Using a rest, like you showed, fire three shots. Take your time with each shot and make sure the sights are perfectly aligned and in the center of the target for each shot.
  • Walk down and look at the target. Find the center of the group. Note where it is in relation to the center of the target. Look at this pic:

In this pic the center of the three shot group is 1" low and 2" to the left. So, the rear sight needs to be moved a little to the right and the front sight needs to be moved a little down.
  • Tape over the holes. This way you can tell them from subsequent groups.
  • Go back and fire another three shot group after the sight adjustment.

Repeat these steps until the group is as close to the center as possible. This is how you zero the gun/sights. There's a lot more to shooting, but this will get you started.

For the record, you're not ready to go hunting yet.
Thank you for response and clear explanation in and helping me.

Yess, I am not ready for hunting at all. I want to get better at shooting.

Here is my plan to prepare for hunting hopefully by November.

Please everyone let me know if agree with my plan. I'm just starting out so I need help.

1. First get my AR iron sights and rear site zero sighted for 50 yards. There is instructors at American Shooting range in Houston that charge $15 for this.

After this should I get a scope on the rfile?

2. Hire instructor at American Shooting range to teach me how to accurately shoot up 100 yards or higher. They charge like $100 per hour.

Will the instructor required me to shoot with scope or iron sights? If so, I better get a scope on this AR.

I will purchase a Adjustable Folding Bipod so I get comfortable with my position for everyshot. I want have sand back in the deer blind

3. Practice every Saturday 50 to 200 yards til to make sure I am accurate. I will practice just how I plan to sit in the deer/hog blind.

4. Once I get better and comfortable and consistently accurate with ar15 I will purcahse a .308 or 270 or 30-.06 scope rifle and practice til Novemebr. I will not hunt with ar15 for the reasons everyone stated above. I rather use higher caliber to ensure high impact shot.

Thank you all so much.

Please let me know if my plan make sense and offer your comments please.
The Following User Likes This Post: