View Single Post

Old 05-06-2018, 02:03 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoboy View Post
Thank you for response and clear explanation in and helping me.

Yess, I am not ready for hunting at all. I want to get better at shooting.

Here is my plan to prepare for hunting hopefully by November.

Please everyone let me know if agree with my plan. I'm just starting out so I need help.

1. First get my AR iron sights and rear site zero sighted for 50 yards. There is instructors at American Shooting range in Houston that charge $15 for this.

After this should I get a scope on the rfile?
Do not pay someone else to zero your rifle. Learn to do it yourself.

Quote:
2. Hire instructor at American Shooting range to teach me how to accurately shoot up 100 yards or higher. They charge like $100 per hour.

Will the instructor required me to shoot with scope or iron sights? If so, I better get a scope on this AR.
You do need an instructor. If I were teaching you to shoot, you would start with a .22lr at 25 yards. If you plan to hunt using a scope, get a scope and learn to shoot with it. Many will disagree with me here, but if you aren't going to use iron sights, then don't worry about mastering them. Some of my hunting rifles don't even have iron sights on them.

Quote:
I will purchase a Adjustable Folding Bipod so I get comfortable with my position for everyshot. I want have sand back in the deer blind
Waste of money in my opinion... If shooting from a blind, just steady the gun on the frame of the blind. If shooting from the ground, learn shooting from field positions (sitting, kneeling, and prone), with use of a sling and shooting sticks to help stabilize.

Quote:
3. Practice every Saturday 50 to 200 yards til to make sure I am accurate. I will practice just how I plan to sit in the deer/hog blind.
Next to impossible to practice from the bench the same as shooting from a blind. Focus on basics, (sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control) while bench shooting.

Quote:
4. Once I get better and comfortable and consistently accurate with ar15 I will purcahse a .308 or 270 or 30-.06 scope rifle and practice til Novemebr. I will not hunt with ar15 for the reasons everyone stated above. I rather use higher caliber to ensure high impact shot.
I wouldn't worry about equipment at this point. Learn to shoot first. You are a long way from being ready to go hunt.
The Following User Likes This Post: