View Single Post

Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Do not pay someone else to zero your rifle. Learn to do it yourself.

You do need an instructor. If I were teaching you to shoot, you would start with a .22lr at 25 yards. If you plan to hunt using a scope, get a scope and learn to shoot with it. Many will disagree with me here, but if you aren't going to use iron sights, then don't worry about mastering them. Some of my hunting rifles don't even have iron sights on them.

Waste of money in my opinion... If shooting from a blind, just steady the gun on the frame of the blind. If shooting from the ground, learn shooting from field positions (sitting, kneeling, and prone), with use of a sling and shooting sticks to help stabilize.

Next to impossible to practice from the bench the same as shooting from a blind. Focus on basics, (sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control) while bench shooting.

I wouldn't worry about equipment at this point. Learn to shoot first. You are a long way from being ready to go hunt.
Thank you cyphertext for your comments.

Questions

1. I agree with getting a scope now, I will definetly be hunting with a scope. Do I need to zero the front iron sights before buying a scope and installing it on AR? Or when I get scope I will need to zero it as well?

2. Should I juse get a scope on AR and go shoot it and see how well I do? If I'm not accurate, hire an instructor.

Appreciate the comments