View Single Post

Old 05-07-2018, 02:04 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford57 View Post
That said, after reading bdmoss88's post, I realized I had looked at where Cater's name appears as data on the draft card, not at the signature. I don't see a man who had written so neatly on wood with a pencil at 24 making that signature on paper with ink at 36. My guess is that Cater signed the draft card after it had been filled in by Peterson.

Like DCWilson, I still like the name Cater as a possibility, just not this Cater.
The differences between the name at the top and the bottom may or may not be explainable by the need to squeeze the signature into a rather narrow line, which tends to throw off patterns.

However, I am reasonably certain that John Peterson did not fill in anything on the front of the card. His handwriting as reflected in his signature looks nothing like Cater’s: Peterson’s is the hand of someone who writes with discipline, order, and routine (like a registrar ), none of which is evident with Cater’s information.

As for the difference in neatness between the wood and the form, one could expect someone to be more fussy, carefully holding the grip panel steady while fitting the information he wants to get onto the wood in the space he has, compared to filling in a form, maybe standing at a counter in an office, an annoying duty you just want to get done.

Proves nothing, just idle speculation, but would fit the evidence.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: