View Single Post

Old 05-17-2018, 06:40 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts

Welcome OP to the Forum from Virginia,

I've got all three, the 28-2, HP (1974) 4 inch and it is my "take to the range" every time.....whether 38 Special (cheaper and easier on the hands) or a couple cylinders of full load Maggies.

The 27-2 (1976) is a beautiful piece and with the 3-1/2" barrel, it is OK with 38, but really hard on the ears (even with good quality muffs), muzzle blast, gap fireball) and the hands (felt recoil is dang right up there in my tolerance zone....a touch greater than my 44 mag model 29 in my opinion).

The smoothest of them all is the "Pre-Model 27" as collectors call it (mine is circa 1951). This beauty has a 6-1/2" barrel, Patridge front sight (wide blade....really quick sight picture/target acquisition for me) and my best "paper puncher"

I also have a Model 14 and while 38 Special only....IF I were to enter some fun local target competition (nothing serious) that Model 14 is exactly what I would take to the range.

Obviously get whatever your money zone allows but in my opinion ANY of these guns will give you hours of fun range time, AND I seriously doubt you will ever lose value. In my book none of these will ever magically turn into a 1936 Registered Magnum anyway....so who cares....you only go around once.

Money wise...don't ask me as you can never "overpay" instead you can buy a S & W "too early" or you can wait for that "smoking hot deal" which seem to evade me.

To determine if your potential Seller is knowledgeable about whatever Smith & Wesson you go for...just ask him if that PARTRIDGE front sight is wide blade or narrow.

Hope my cloned pic comes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (4.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Model 28 - D1.jpg (55.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg M27-2 B reduced size.jpg (61.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Pre 27 a.jpg (39.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg M 14-3 e.jpg (35.2 KB, 34 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 3 Users Like Post: