View Single Post

Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

The problem is that they don't do anything that other stuff doesn't do better. Mostly. I'll get to that later. Some of the other stuff that's been said is bizarre.

Single-actions aren't any more pointable than any other handgun with the right grip and technique. Tell you the truth, point-shooting just isn't that hard once you understand the basics of it. If you take the gun in your hand, point at your target, and don't find it pointing at what you wanted, the problem is not the pistol. It's your big dumb hand.

Any advantage in safety is lost once you realize that if you have to actually use the thing, and cock it, you now have to carefully lower the hammer, under stress, in order to re-holster. To say nothing of how cocking complicates a surreptitious draw.

They're not any more one-handed than any other handgun. That's why they're called "handguns" and not "handsguns". About the only thing you could say is that they're more ambidextrous than a pistol that has a non-ambidextrous safety. And there are way too many handguns without manual safeties to make single-actions worth looking at.

There is no advantage to having less rounds. I have no idea why people think that having a lower-capacity handgun, or one with a lower practical rate of fire, magically makes them better marksmen and grants their bullets the power of the mythical "one-shot stop". If you can't hit water falling out of a boat, a smaller magazine or a six-shooter isn't going to fix the fact that you suck.

More powerful chamberings might be a thing. Until you read Greg Ellifritz's fine work. .380 ACP, over 85 cases, averaged 1.76 rounds to incapacitation, a 44% one-shot stop percentage, a 62% one-shot stop percentage from torso and head hits, and a 16% failure-to-stop percentage. .44 Magnum, over 24 cases, averaged 1.71 rounds to incapacitation, a 59% one-shot top percentage, a 53% one-shot stop percentage from torso and head hits, and a 13% failure-to-stop percentage.

Simply stated, it's not what you throw, it's where you put it.

Can a single-action revolver be as fast as a double? Sure, with a lot of practice. And by the time you're as fast with a single-action as an average decently-practiced DA revolver shooter, you could be a real ace with a DA sixgun or a pistol.

And last, pretty much any gun you can buy today is going to shoot any silly garbage ammo you decide to feed it. Ditto for polymer guns, which are tough enough to survive impacts that their operators wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostaro
picked up a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41mag a few months ago. I plan to carry when hunting/scouting for deer or just roaming the great outdoors.
It's a cool gun, very accurate and .41mag will handle anything I'll meet in my hunting grounds.
Of course it's not the best choice for self defense...but I don't feel unarmed with it and probably won't carry another gun if I have that on me.
Having an accurate/powerful gun with me and the mindset to use it when needed should be enough.
Good for you. Go for it. I'm not even being sarcastic, that gun is right up your alley. By the time you get to an automatic that's on-par with the .41 Magnum, it's going to be exotic and abusive to shoot, or not quite up to the power level of the .41...and abusive to shoot.

Sure, you could get a DA revolver in .41 Mag. I even here there's a company in Massachusetts that used to make one . But getting one would be rather expensive. I sure wouldn't wanna drag a .41 S&W through the woods.

Maybe a Redhawk...except the Redhawk's single-action pull is known to be heavy (it uses a single spring in place of an S&W's independent hammer spring and trigger return spring).

So yeah. Perfect gun, perfect cartridge, perfect situation. Although I would have also accepted ".45 Colt". By the time you get to .44s, though, you can get a 629 for not a lot more than a Blackhawk.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: