Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 AM

Liked 755 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabensburg View Post

I am A. Neale Rabensburg, grandson of Newton Joseph Rabensburg. Newton was born in 1889 in Wilson County, Texas and raised in Fayette County, Texas following the 1890 death of his father, Henry B. Rabensburg, a saddler in Wilson and adjacent counties. There is presently an active exhibit on N. J. Rabensburg in La Grange, Texas at the Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives. Mr. Rabensburg was in business in La Grange from 1915 to 1920. His store located on the town square was Zwiener and Rabensburg. He and his family moved to Llano in 1920 where he stayed until the early 1930's. He received an offer from the A. W. Brill Company in Austin and left his position in Llano as Mayor. There is an Austin American newspaper article written in 1959 on his life and leather career. I was there with him on occasions during his retirement. He had a home office located in his garage located at 1903 W. Lamar located on a hill across from Pease Park and Waller Creek (Austin). I watched him make his holsters and belts. I had one of his holsters and belts as a child. I can identify for the most part his designs. I have much of his home workshop including tools, stitching horse, granite block, a (cc: 1890) Sessions Wall Clock from Parry Buggies, carriage toting box for belts, early photographs including one of his pre-1915 "parade" saddles, 1961 obituary, 1959 PR newspaper article, photos of a Zwiener and Rabensburg restored buggy in the Hidalgo Museum in south Texas, his writing desk and spool draw, early 20th Century wall art painted on leather. I have photographs of him as a young man and in retirement. Newton died of a stroke at the age of 73 or thereabouts He is buried with his wife, Lillian Edna Speckels in Austin. Together, they had three sons and two grandchildren.
I grew up unaware of the “Brill” design. This is a new subject for me. I knew my grandfather was popular because I continued to get a few forwarded requests for holster orders from as far away as Detroit, Michigan for several years following his death. The Brill name was also a familiar subject including the store location on 6th Street in downtown Austin. Arno Brill III, who was a guest of mine in La Grange, Texas several years ago, was unaware of N. J. Rabensburg and his connection with the A. W. Brill Company. This caught me off-guard since my grandfather supposedly had a strong connection with the Brill company and a probable ownership position. However, Brill III denied any such connection with Rabensburg. The Brill Company website also makes no mention of N. J. Rabensburg and yet displays his holsters as their own. I believe I can readily identify my grandfather’s designs, and many on the Brill website are his work. I have in my possession the A. W. Bill Company leather stamp used on probably many of these same holsters.
I did, however, meet from Mrs. Arno Inks Brill at my grandmother Rabensburg’s home on W. 29th in Austin during the late 1960’s. She had decided to return my grandfather’s writing/spool draw desk, which had been given to her by my grandmother following my grandfather’s death. I gladly accepted the gift. I did see the same Mrs. Brill along with her daughter Nellie (Idanell) Connally during the mid-1980’s in Houston at a local country club. My parents and I were waiting in the Lobby for our car from valet parking. The meeting with Mrs. Brill, Mrs. Connally and my father was a happy reunion.
My grandfather, Newton Joseph Rabensburg, was born in Floresville, Wilson County but raised in Fayette County in the Ellinger area. His mother was Wilhelmina Ehlinger married first to Henry B. Rabensburg, a saddler, born in Bastrop, Texas and, second, to Charles Girndt, who would later become Fayette County Sheriff. The year 1907 appears to be pivotal because Newton departs the Ellinger area and moves to La Grange, the county seat of Fayette County. As a young adult of 18 years, he starts his saddlery career with La Grange Saddlery located on the southwest corner of the town square. I now understand that in 1907 N. J. Rabensburg contacts August Brill, who is a clerk with the W. T. Wroe Saddlery in Austin and submits a design for what became known as the “Brill”, which was approved by Captain Hughes and adopted by the Texas Rangers during the years 1913 to 1955.
Newton’s Ehlinger family are prominent citizens of Fayette County. The town of Ellinger (Anglicized) was named in honor of his grandfather. His uncles were lawyers, judges and the County Clerk and founders of the local Catholic churches. His grandfather was a veteran of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto, which gave independence to Texas from Mexico and caused the acquisition of the western United States into the Union (the mountain states, California and the upper west coast). N. J. Rabensburg’s wife, Lillian Edna Speckels, was also from prominent family stock. Her father was a local merchant, an architect, Mayor of La Grange, founder of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Chief of the LG Fire Department and President of the State Firemen’s Association. Her von Rosenberg family are considered by some historians to be one of the most important Prussian families of central Texas.
N. J. Rabensburg left La Grange in 1909 for Dallas where he worked for an unknown period of time. His tenure in Price, Utah was perhaps longer. Newton may have also traveled to New Mexico and Montana according to some accounts. He returned to La Grange, Texas in 1915 and purchased a partnership position in an existing saddlery, which was renamed Zwiener and Rabensburg and located in two stores on the northside of the town square. He married that same year to Lillian Speckels in St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. Lillian was a strong Lutheran.
N. J. Rabensburg and his young family moved in 1920 to Llano, Texas and started a saddlery business in that community. I do not have his business history in Llano at this time but do know that he was involved as a town alderman and for a brief time as Mayor. Mayor Inks of Llano handed him the keys. The Inks family name appears in Llano and with Mrs. Arno Inks Brill in Austin.
I was not aware that N. J. Rabensburg moved twice to Austin during the early 1930’s. Perhaps the first time was to test the situation and leave his family behind. In Austin, the Rabensburg family lived on the top of a steep hill west of downtown on 7th Street. In the late 1930’s, Newton and Lillian built a new home located on Shoal Creek Boulevard on the side of hill across from Pease Park. Prior to World War II, a four lane N. Lamar Boulevard cut through and shaved off part of their hill and their address changed to 1903 N. Lamar.
During the early 1950’s, N. J. Rabensburg was working out of his home store located in his two-car garage. He may have continued to sell products for the A. W. Brill Company but not at the downtown 6th Street business location. In 1959, the Austin American newspaper wrote an article with photograph about his leather career. That article notes his connection with the Brill Company.

Last edited by arabensburg; 12-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: