View Single Post

Old 05-25-2018, 01:55 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 430 Times in 136 Posts

Back in the 70's, I got a contract to do some control hunting on a military installation. I can't go into details but the critters were fairly large (350 to 500 lbs) and were frequenting the installation runway and causing havoc with air operations. I started off using a .30-06 but ended up using, quiet successfully an AR-15 carbine. All shots were 100-150 yards with M-193 ball and either head or point of shoulder. Every critter hit on the point of the shoulder went down in their tracks. I was initially amazed myself at the results and quickly came to the conclusion, upon inspection, that all kills were humane and cleanly done. Shot placement is still the most critical part of the equation with penetration being the second most important. I do wound ballistic workshops(for LE) for a major ammo company now and have shot a lot of gelatin. Bullet design and construction has made some remarkable advances in the last few years. There were no 7.62/.308's on AR platform rifles in those days, but I think I would have gone that direction if they had been. I still believe in using "Enough Gun" for the game being hunted.
The Following User Likes This Post: