View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,516 Times in 2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by one eye joe View Post
THROUGH 60+ YEARS OF SHOOTING, I HAVE READ COUNTLESS ARTICLES AND RANKINGS OF DIFFERENT LUBRICANTS. THE LATEST HIGH TECH SYNTHETIC GREASE, MIGHT BE JUST THE TICKET FOR SEMI AUTO RAILS AND BOLTS, ETC.......

BUT, FOR A NICE OLD REVOLVER LIKE YOURS, REGULAR CLEANING AND SPARINGLY APPLIED "3 IN 1 OIL" LUBRICANT, IS ALL YOU NEED......

WHATEVER YOU DO, KEEP WD-40 FAR AWAY FROM THAT REVOLVER ! ! !
The above may be some of the best advice tendered.
Old craftsmen and gunsmiths almost always had Singer Sewing Machine Oil and/or 3-IN-ONE oil on the bench. I have a lot of options available, and from experience over a long time, can assure you that that is about all you will ever really need. Splurge on a bottle of Mobil One if you wish.... or spend ten bucks for an ounce or two of magic, but the old standards will serve you well.
In 'gun oil' you don't necessarily get what you pay for.
WD is okay short-term, but I have personally seen real problems where it has been used for long term storage.
Since I sold my car that had a distributor cap, rotor, and points, I have no WD-40 on my shelf. I found it fantastic for water displacement on ignition systems, but not stellar as a lubricant.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: