Thread: 10mm m&p
View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
Do a search on this area of the forum using "NCHP SIG Problems" and you'll find a number of discussions and an extended series of messages about the NCHP situation. (My son is a NCHP Trooper, so I heard about it first hand.

The search results includes messages that recount conversations with S&W Customer Service who suggested NOT using .357 Conversion barrels in the 40 version of the M&P.

That said, I have NOT heard of others (civilians) complaining about problems.
Interesting. I don't remember that discussion, but I'm not a .357Sig fan so, I probably didn't follow it. I do find it unique that S&W said not to use a .357Sig barrel in a .40S&W gun because they are the exact same frame and slide and use the same mags.

I have heard of several police departments having trouble with M&Ps though. Caliber doesn't seem to be an issue so much as manufacture lot.

But we digress. This is about 10mm.

I think another issue with building a 10mm is the slide. Because the barrel requires a stronger and longer chamber, it may require a complete redesign of the slide as well. The block around the chamber is how the gun locks up. If this needs to be longer, it will require a slide redesign.

I'll bet that due to the 10mm's limited popularity, S&W doesn't want to go through the expense to design a new slide.

Then there's the question of durability. Will the standard frame hold up to the 10mm's violent nature?