View Single Post

Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 PM

Liked 14,937 Times in 5,076 Posts

The Browning pistol gets good reviews but it's important to know that it's about 80% reduced size. I believe it is made in USA, and it costs more than most of the lower priced clones.

The GSG 1911-22 and Sig 1911-22 (same exact pistol, made by GSG) is a decent shooter and full size, a lot of fun for the money HOWEVER please know going in that it isn't an ultra-high quality "lifetime" handgun. The slide is Zamak, an extremely light metal (basically pot metal) and the pistol is accurate "enough" for fun but this is no match pistol. It's a fun plinker that is, IMO, better than the SR-22/Walther P-22/M&P-22 types of plinker rimfire pistols.

For more money, consider a dedicated rimfire upper on a standard 1911 lower. Prices and options vary, all will cost significant money approaching entry level .45cal 1911 pistols.

Chiappa makes a .22cal 1911 lookalike. It is a complete pile of junk, a warm cow pie is a better purchase at any price.

As to the subject -- first handgun for a 13 year old boy? In my opinion, skip all the 1911 style .22 pistols and simply get a Ruger Mark pistol. The Mark IV is the current model, leaving many used Mk III pistols looking for homes, and plenty of new old stock Mk III's with lower prices. Experience tells me (for sure!) that the Mark II was the absolute pinnacle of a phenomenal design, I would pay more money for a clean Mark II then I would even consider spending on any Mk III or Mk IV.

If the lure of a 1911 is driving this, I still say get a Ruger Mark pistol and have him work toward his first ever 1911 -- in .45cal. (or 9mm)
The Following 18 Users Like Post: