View Single Post

Old 06-02-2018, 03:14 AM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Interesting. Because I live in CA you hate me? I made no comment about you and yet you seem to be taking it personally. I'm sorry for that. No, I don't troll threads. My comment was simply on something I've noticed a lot.

Many have answered your question, but let me add some things that have not been mentioned:

The sights don't need to be in the exact center of the gun. There are many factors determining where the bullet will go. Because the barrel is not fixed to the slide, the sights are not going to be perfectly aligned just because they are in the center. Sure, if they are aligned with the side of the slide, they're probably off. Putting them in the middle of the slide isn't bad, but it won't ensure the bullets go to the middle of the target.

Did you shoot from a rest? The answer to this question is usually no. If you didn't, and we already know you didn't have anyone else shoot the gun, you can't be sure it's the gun. Shooting from a rest greatly reduces any error from the shooter. There are three sources of error when shooting a gun; the gun, the ammo and the shooter. People don't like to hear this, but the biggest source of error is the shooter. So, shooting from a rest helps determine if it's the shooter or the gun/ammo.

If it were the ammo, the groups would likely be all over the place rather than just to the left.

The most common complaint with any handgun, is shooting low and to the left. The most common cause is a right hand shooter pushing the gun to the left as they shoot. The most commonly heard response to shooting low left is, "My sights are off." This is not a comment on your character, it's simple statement of fact.

The most common response to, "It may be you and not the gun" is, "I've got lots of guns and shoot all of them perfectly." That may be true, but all guns are different. Like it or not, the M&P line has bad to mediocre triggers from the factory. They have a ton of over-travel. This over-travel will exacerbate any shooter induced error. In other words, if you're shooting your Glock 1/2" to the left at 10 yards, you'll likely shoot an M&P 2" or 3" left at 10 yards. This is due to the nature of the trigger.
Thanks for coming back with some constructive advice Rastoff, and a cool head. I agree with everything you've written here. And no, I haven't bench rested with it yet. It's frustrating I guess, because I'm usually the one telling everyone else it's most likely not the gun, it's the shooter. Lol, I think I have convinced myself it just can't be me. You are absolutely right about the fact that just because I'm shooting my other pistols well doesn't mean it's still not the shooter. I must remain in the spectrum of sanity and realize the odds of it being the pistol are pretty close to astronomical. You can sense my frustration I'm sure. I'm going to an indoor range tomorrow. I have a pretty ideal sized range bag I can use to bench rest off of using a decent sized towel I believe. I also know a couple of the guys at the range well enough to have them shoot the pistol too if need be. I know one shoots competition, not sure of the other one, but I know he has an M&P in his holster. Seems like a good plan of action. If I may confess to everyone, I have literally lost sleep over this whole shooting low thing. I feel like a teenager who can't get a date or something lol. How has this eaten at me so hard ? My apologies for the California remark. I'm certain there must be some good ones. I'm originally from Texas, and have lived in Las Vegas for about 20 years now. I don't smoke dope, drink, gamble, and don't like tattoos on my women. I am still in culture shock out here. The story how I got here and why I'm still here is another post for another day lol. I sincerely appreciate your, and everyone's input on this thread. I am stumped and overwhelmed at how awful I shot last weekend...like a stupid little kid lol. I'm anxious to post back again tomorrow, I hope by 2:00 pm Pacific time - but it may take me til like 8:00 pm. That pesky Saturday to do list. Thank heaven tomorrow is Saturday. I need my sanity back on this whole shot placement thing. I feel pressure, like I'm the starting pitcher in game 7, but can't wait for the big game to begin.
The Following User Likes This Post: