View Single Post

Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
I wonder if part of the reason for the mandating to higher capacity guns wasn't pressure by other NYPD officers. Realistically, in today's world, who would want their partner backing them up with only 5 rounds in their primary weapon? While I'm a huge revolver fan, and while I believe they still work very well for civilian SD/HD, they are not the best defense for today's urban warfare and LEOs. Like locked entrance doors and metal detectors at elementary schools, it's a sad thing to see, but a necessity.
Less than 1/10 of 1% of cops fire their weapons a year. Nobody is worried. Guys in high enforcement areas like narcotics aren’t still carrying wheel guns. The 30 guys left are hairbags who are probably not even in uniform anymore.

And as bad as people think current day is, cops with revolvers walked the beat at a time when there were 2500 homicides a year. The .38 got them this far. Let the guys retire with them.

But the point is moot. The brass has spoken. Bet you nobody asked the few guys left what they wanted. I’d like to hear one safety reason why the guns have to be retired. It was about a separate qualification for those few guys. That was it.

That 33 year vet sergeant came on in 1984-1985. He could have gotten a free gun 25 years ago. He didn’t. The fact that he was melancholy about turning it in says it all. Probably a few year left to retirement and he’s gotta turn in his duty weapon for a plastic autoloader with stiff leather.

Last edited by kbm6893; 06-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: