View Single Post

Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

ABPOS,

Since we are talking about personal protection here, the best handgun gun for the job is one that you will not hesitate to have on your person if and when the need for a gun arises. On your person means that it is one you can carry easily in your preferred method of carry, that you can access quickly and easily and securely, and that fits your hands well and that you can shoot accurately. So ... everything is somewhat of a compromise, right? And different folks have different sized hands, bodies methods of preferred dress, and on and on it goes. No one may like what you choose but if it works well for you, then it's what you need for the job.

I have many revolvers and a few semi autos that I love, but which I do not carry every day. Many years of trying many different guns for long enough periods of time to really get to know how they work for me has distilled my choices for EDC down to just a few. These may not be the gun I'd choose to have with me if I KNEW I was going to need a gun, but then again, if I knew beforehand that I was going to need a gun, I just wouldn't go there!

Weight and size matters for all day, every day carry. Of course, those things also matter for ease of grip and shooting operation. Compromise, remember? My EDC choices for carry for revolvers are two. My all time favorite J frame is a Model 640-1 steel framed revolver. It is always carried in a waist band holster, mostly IWB. The barrel is a touch longer than some J Frames, which I like. It is heavy enough to be very controllable for me, and it shoots very well. It is a Centennial style without the exposed hammer (nothing to catch on clothing as I draw it). I only shoot revolvers double action and have little, if any, need to use single action for personal protection needs.

My second choice of revolver is a Model 442 like the one shown in your picture. I bought it shortly after this model was first released. If and when I have need to carry in a pocket, this is the gun I choose because it is lighter in weight. I can still shoot it just fine with +P .38 Special ammo (my ammo of choice for both J Frames, BTW, and I am comfortable with that choice), and it matches the Model 640 in operation and benefits other than weight. Same grips on both, same drill, and familiarity with both is a comfort. Both will fit in the same holsters IWB or OWB (my holsters are chosen or built to accept the slightly longer barrel on the 640. And of course, any other Centennial style S&W matches these as far as familiarity is concerned. The Model 642, for another example.

My other EDC choice is an S&W MP45 (I also have an S&W MP9 that I had first and also carried.) I have no problem with carrying 9MM, I just prefer the .45ACP and my MP45 is the hands down winner for me for EDC. I carry it mostly IWB but can also carry OWB if I choose.

These are my choices for what you describe. They may or may not be your choice, or anyone else's. That's OK by me. But these work and work very well for me, and they cover all my needs. I also own a Ruger LCP II if I really need a sure enough small gun for some particular reason or a BUG, but that is a specialty need that does not often occur for me. My familiarity with the three guns I mention is a very comforting thing for me. I cannot really conceive of any other guns that would work any better for me than these. So I do not expect to replace them as my personal protection handguns. I have a different gun at my beside, but it has an entirely different purpose as relates to personal protection. I do not "carry" it. It holds a lot more ammo and wears a Crimson Trace laser sight that works very well in low or no light. Having the right tool (for you and for the job) that allows you to do a good job is the tool you need! My search has been time consuming, somewhat expensive, interesting and fun, but the end result is very satisfactory for me. Good luck with your quest!