View Single Post

Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Liked 6,624 Times in 2,202 Posts

Found these online (Can't verify accuracy): Smith & Wesson CS Pistol Series - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

My pair:

S&W considers both models to be "obsolete" and no longer offers major retail parts support, although some parts still show up at one of the regularly supported vendors (Midway is one).

Magazines still appear for sale if you look around, and the "wearable" springs (magazine & recoil) are still able to be found among aftermarket vendors. I've still been making occasional orders of both mag & recoil springs through the factory, but I've sometimes had to wait because they've been back-ordered for a few months.

Fortunately, unless you're someone who likes to needlessly "tinker" with things, 3rd gen models (especially later production versions, like the CS series) are pretty durable.

I've been shooting my CS45 quite a lot since I ordered it back when the stainless model was first introduced ('99?). My CS9 was a newer version, when they started using ambi manual safety and steel sights. It hasn't seen quite as much range use as the CS45 (think of the CS45 as my 'range beater' pistol), but it's seen probably as much use as my well-worn '98 vintage 3913.

I initially had my CS45 slide machined at the Performance Center to convert it to Decock-Only, and tried a couple then-new sight setups on it, finally deciding to leave the older (original) Ashley Big Dot sights on it. I've replaced the wearable springs (mag & recoil) several times, but then as a firearms instructor I used those little guns at the range a lot.

You'd have to check with the bigger sight companies to ask about new sights (like Trijicon, who used to make them for S&W).

Holsters are anybody's guess, as once guns go out-of-production some holster companies no longer seem interested in supporting them. I had Blade-tech and Hume make a couple of their popular holsters for mine, but I doubt they still bother to get out their older "mold" guns and make those models anymore. You'd have to call and ask.

Whatever you do (if you get the guns) DON'T disassemble and remove the magazine catch from the frame. It uses a plastic snap-on "nut" button, and it's considered a one-time use part. If you pry it off the mag catch body, it's recommended it be replaced with a new one. (Same parts used in CS45 & 457/457S, and the CS9 & 908/908S.)

It's recommended that even armorers never remove those parts from the frame for a routine armorer's inspection or detailed "cleaning", but only to replace a worn/broken part. Those parts are rapidly becoming unavailable. (I've never removed either of mine over the many years I've owned and used the guns.)

Like other 3rd gen S&W's, if you ever manage to break or wear out an extractor or sear release lever (decocking), both of those parts required fitting (filing), meaning some knowledge and experience. Armorers were originally sold a set of bar/flag gauges ($70) and a Wagner Force Dial gauge ($150) to both fit the extractor and determine which extractor spring to use in any particular gun.