Thread: S&W 586 RECALL
View Single Post

Old 06-15-2018, 08:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation 586 Recall

I know this is a SEVEN year-old thread, and though I've been a member on this site for four years now, this is only now my FIRST post and I figured I would document my experience sending my 586-1 in for the recall. Unlike most people here, mine actually needs the refit. I purchased my 586-1 used maybe two years ago but never fired it until just last week by loading ONE round of Federal .38 spl +p ammunition. It fired just fine but sure enough the cylinder LOCKED UP tight. It took about 5 minutes but the cylinder finally opened and you could see it was definitely caused by the primer being partially pushed back into the hammer nose bushing. I was just happy the empty casing could be cleared. I called S&W, gave my serial# and explained what occurred and strangely, the employee stated, "That doesn't sound like something the recall will fix". He further stated, "From what you've explained it might require us to keep your revolver longer". I then told him that sounded odd because S&W's recall specifically states "cylinder binding" is the chief symptom, which is literally what's wrong with mine. At that point he just said, "Well, we might have keep it 4-6 weeks", and that's fine with me because, unlike some, my 586 HAS to have the work done. I kinda think S&W was setting me up to let me know they're gonna have my revolver a LONG time. We'll see...

They emailed me a FedEx label and the revolver ships out tomorrow morning. I'll report when I get it back so everybody knows how long it's currently taking since the last post from seven years ago

Last edited by 70351; 06-18-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Clarity