View Single Post

Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Liked 1,653 Times in 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
IIRC, in that specific case, only having 5 shots probably saved the mom's life. Didn't the BG take the revolver away in the wrestling match, point it at the mom over the counter, pulled the trigger a couple times, and it just went 'click' because the mom had shot all 5.

Not being argumentative. I'm not sure if 5 is better or worse than 15, but in that specific case, it seems like the mom was lucky she only had 5.
In that case both girls were armed, the mother a revolver, the daughter a semi auto. The problem with that shooting is location/shot placement. The mother fired 5 rounds, BUT only connected with one in the leg.

Let's consider statistics, the chances of being a victim of a violent crime are extremely slim, the chances of needing more than 5 rounds are also slim. Practice, practice, practice in case you win the criminal lottery, and are picked. But with good common sense, and situational awareness your odds of being picked are way down.

I know not everybody can have multiple dogs in a fenced yard, but it has kept our home safe for over 20 years. My first line is my dogs, my second is a 50 pound bow, like to keep my hearing. After that it is a 22lr Ruger Mark III, again like to keep my hearing.

Bows have been proven successful in home defense many times, and their capacity is as many arrows as you can hold in your hand with your bow. With regular practice I can get off an arrow every 2 seconds easily hitting a pie plate at ten yards without aiming(instinct shooting).

The 22lr has also been proven successful in home invasion situations. One case in Smithville years ago the elderly home owner stopped the attacker with a NAA 22lr revolver. Another case in SC a female stopped a rapist in a motel with a 22lr semi auto. ONE shot to the chest was all it took.

But IMO the best home defense weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun. If you don't mind the ringing ears, or the loss of some hearing permanently.
The Following User Likes This Post: