View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Liked 3,520 Times in 961 Posts
Default Cast Bullet for Hog Hunting Question

Finally got a place secured to start Hog Hunting as soon as this heat wave lets us breath. I will be hunting using a Model 686 with 8 3/8" Barrel and another with a 7" Barrel. It has been recommended by many to use a heavy cast bullet for penetration. Been working on Loads with Missouri Coated 180 gr and have come up with several really accurate loads. Yesterday in conversation with another handgun hunter, he thinks the Missouri Bullet with hardness of Brinell 18 is too hard and I should use one with a Hardness of around 10-12. I really like the Missouri bullet as I load it to around 1250fps and get great accuracy. So I'll put this out to the experts here. Should I drop down to a "softer" Lead bullet that will give the penetration but at the same time give some expansion or am I overthinking this too much? The GT Bullets are around Brinell 11 and the ones I've tried are very accurate. Leading even at this velocity wouldn't me a major concern as there would not be a lot of shooting between cleanings.
The Following User Likes This Post: