View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 PM

Liked 153 Times in 88 Posts

Interesting read.

I picked up my Shield 380 EZ the other day along with a Beretta 84 - DOB late 1970s in pristine, unfired condition. But back to the EZ . . .

I'm an older guy - a revolver guy - but I do own a 9mm Shield and like it very much and I often use it for a carry piece. I have to kind of chuckle when I see all the videos and hype about the 380 EZ being for "women" or "older" people. I'm sure that Smith probably planned it for that niche . . . but I have to say that I am really impressed with mine. Seems to have a good trigger and the grip safety doesn't bother me at all.

I was looking for a .380 for plinking and carrying in the woods, etc. - a "fun gun". I reload and only shoot cast and that's all my EZ will see. Some folks don't think the .380 is powerful enough for "carry" . . . and to each their own. Personally, I have no qualms with a .380 but that's me. I got the model with the thumb safety . . . doesn't bother me as it's not hard for a person to learn to thumb sweep a safety . . . or, if carrying, leave it off. y trigger seems smooth as silk.

As far as accuracy, I haven't had the time to get out and shoot mine yet. However, I won't pass judgement based on a few hundred rounds of different brands. As I said, mine will only see reloads and cast . . . but it's like any other handgun . . . you need to work up a load and see what it likes best - then stick with that load. It also takes time to "learn" the pistol. In this day and age, when so many of us have a number of different handguns, do we really concentrate on "one gun" enough to really learn it. Maybe, if you are using one handgun to shoot competition . . . but I doubt it if just going to the range once in while and putting a hundred or so rounds though it with days in between. Just my thoughts . . might or might not agree.

In the long run . . . I think Smith has a real winner with the 380 EZ. It's reasonably priced, has gotten great reviews as far as function and reliability and if a person wants a .380, whether it be for a plinking gun, HD or CCW . . . it will certainly do the job for those that like the 380 cartridge. Yep . . it fits the market for women shooters, beginners and "old people", like me . . . but I have to think that there will be a lot of manly men getting this pistol for fun . . . they just might not admit it due to testosterone levels. :-)
The Following 6 Users Like Post: