View Single Post

Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 AM

Liked 640 Times in 368 Posts

I have the same Magpul handguard mentioned by others. You may not want to shoot a lot at the range but if you shoot more than just a few rounds you will find the OEM handguard getting very hot. It will become too hot for your hand quickly.

I originally used a rail that attached to the OEM handguard and I mounted a vertical grip to that. That worked fine but it didn't leave me with enough space to mount a flashlight and a red dot. I had the Vortex Strikefire II red dot mounted at the time. I probably would have had room with my current Primary Arms Advanced Microdot (with the knob brightness adjustment) sight to mount a flashlight. That sight has a 5 year battery on it meaning you can leave it on for about 5 years. So chances are it won't be dead if you change the battery once a year or so.

I went with the Magpul to get more space for mounting things and to have a more sturdy setup. Plus the heat shield helped. I still use a vertical grip BTW. I just like them for more accurate shooting.

I also have a flashlight mounted. There are MANY capable flashlights on the market today and you don't have to pay high prices to get a good one. Here's one example.

A CREE XML2 LED and a 18650 battery will provide you with plenty of blinding light. In some cases you might actually blind someone permanently with one of those lights. They come with a warning about shining them into the eyes of a human. They are VERY bright and that includes the ones that just cost $20 or so. I have several of these lights and none of them have ever failed. If I was going into a jungle or a desert to fight a battle I would probably want a better quality light but these are pretty darn good. The batteries are a key. You need one that won't die completely if discharged. Some shut down before they get too discharged. A good charging system is also a must. Again these lights are VERY bright. More expensive models usually have more modes where you can adjust for brightness and go from spotlight to flood light. Those are things you can get by without on a gun designed to pick up a target in the dark quickly and engage that target without great risk to yourself. I wouldn't want a dimmer on a light on a rifle. Most battles will be over very quickly and the batteries last a good while even on the brightest settings.

If I can get to it I'll post a photo of my setup here. I'm very pleased with it. I do have a 2 point sling but I find that I use it much less than I would on a rifle without a vertical grip. It's good to have it wrapped around your hand though just to prevent someone from taking your gun away quickly. A sling almost always means more accuracy if you use it right. They aren't just for carrying a rifle. I never use a wide sling made for comfortable carrying. To me a sling is primarily about accuracy.

I had another AR with quad rails that were long. They were awkward for holding the rifle by the handguard IMO and they were considerably heavier. It was a more sturdy setup but it wasn't worth the problems it created to me.