View Single Post

Old 06-21-2018, 07:43 AM
US Veteran

Liked 40,186 Times in 10,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipdog View Post
For all you know the cylinder holes aren't even round. Take it to a good machinist not a gunsmith. A good machinist can tell you and they don't need a reamer to fix it if out of round. Reamers are for people who don't know how to do precision work. Your engines cylinders don't have reamed holes neither should your revolver unless you want a hack job by a so called gunsmith.
True that a machinist can tell you if they are out of round and how large they are. But, lots of precision holes have been made with reamers. Almost every chamber in the shooting world was made with a reamer, including precision bench rest high powered rifle chambers. If I wanted to make a .223 chamber into a 22-250 chamber I would use a reamer and so would every other gun smith from hack to guys of P O Ackely ability. Plus, every machinist I know has a bunch of reamers for making small precision holes.
The cylinders in my 408 Ford were not done with a reamer, they were done with a boring bar. Be a pretty flimsy boring bar to turn a hole with a .223 ID.

Last edited by steelslaver; 06-21-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: