Thread: CS45 Question
View Single Post

Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 PM

Liked 6,624 Times in 2,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeanie68 View Post
... I don't have any trouble loading the mags (especially with a lulu loader), it's just that half of them seem to have issues feeding. I'm hoping they will break in.

A thought ...

Presuming the CS45 mags you possess have the secondary indentations equally located and pressed/shaped on each side ...

4513TSW 6rd mag on Left; CS45 6rd mag on Right:

I'd offer that like with other really shortened, lightweight diminutive .45's, shooter grip stability can play a critical role in realizing optimal feeding and functioning.

I had a guy from another agency send over his CS45 for me to examine. He said he was getting repeated failures-to-feed. (I was also told by the guy who'd spoken with him, and picked up the gun from him, that the LE owner wasn't exactly someone who spent a lot of time on the range.) I didn't experience any problems when I fired the gun, even using the bargain priced W-W USA45JHP (WWB, as it's often known among gun forums). It seemed to run just fine ... but then I've got several thousand rounds through my own CS45, and I'm accustomed to shooting small .45's anyway.

I asked another instructor to try it while I watched. He'd never fired one before, but he'd fired a new production 4513TSW. Another instructor there didn't have a problem either, but he just fired a few magazine loads. As long as a reasonably firmly clenched grip and a locked wrist were used, the gun fired normally.

Now, when I asked a couple of the guys to slightly relax their grip and wrist a little, they could experience failures-to-feed. Tighten it up again and lock the wrist, back to normal.

Examining the gun didn't reveal anything out-of-spec or damaged. I replaced the recoil spring as a courtesy, and told the guy who had received it from the owner to return it to him, with the recommendation that he invest some more range time to the little .45, and make sure his grip was reasonably firm (good handshake) and his wrist was locked.

Diminutive .45's tend to be less tolerant of both ammunition and shooter (grip) issues than larger .45's. TANSTAAFL.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 06-23-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: