Thread: Wet .22LR
View Single Post

Old 06-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Liked 18,475 Times in 7,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Sear View Post
Nope; won't happen. I know this from my own experience. Also, read here if anyone is interested in facts...

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - The Box O' Truth
Interesting article. I'll play Devil's Advocate though.

The fly in his ointment (as I see it) is that with the rounds all sitting in a holder nose-down, the primer cup is acting as an "umbrella" keeping the oil from reaching the priming compound even if some of it did manage to seep in around the primer. If it did it would end up in the case and wetting a little bit of the powder - but not the priming compound.

With 22lr rounds IF (and it is a BIG "if") some oil got past the heeled bullet and inside the case, there would be nothing like the primer cup to keep it from getting to the priming compound.

So for that reason, I'm not so sure that the results of the test in that article apply in this situation.

BTW Nevada Ed, I think you missed the part where the OP said that the 3 boxes in question add up to over 1000 rounds (presumably three bulk packs - not three 50 round boxes).

Personally, I'd just sit in front of the TV wiping the gunk off them one round at a time. Afterwards I'd probably roll them around in a plastic bowl with a little dry spray lube if I needed to replace the water-fouled lube that I wiped off.

Last edited by BC38; 06-22-2018 at 10:32 PM.