View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
An altercation with a 300lb man armed with a blade in a bathroom will almost assuredly involve contact being made. If you think you can hold a #2 just because you took a Craig Douglas class, have done some force-on-force training and routinely practice rention shooting at the range, good luck with that.

I'm not much of a huge fan of .357 magnum out of a lightweight snub. I've seen way too many incidents of crimp jump to dismiss it, plus there's the controllability factor and to a lesser degrees, failures in one form or another. Most civilian defense scenarios take place inside 3 yards. One handed shooting is the norm at such distances and justifiably so since mobility and using the off hand for protection are often required and I don't see the relatively slight ballistic advantage the magnum offers worth the trade-offs and risks.
I agree with your position on j-frames being enough — IF — the risk your protecting against is being the target of an opportunistic predator. You just happen to cross paths with an ambush predator(s) and he/they think you will be an easy mark. They aren’t looking to get shot. I think pocket .380’s work in that scenario also.

If your life circumstances put you at a higher threat level, say from a determined, vengeful ex-husband or an ex-con you put in prison, I’d want more than five. That’s how I look at it anyway.