View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
It's not a mindset, it's a verifiable, statistical reality when comparing the number of verifiable shootings and comparing the number of rounds fired, etc. Mindset is a completely different discussion. I know it's fashionable to train like we're HALO jumping into Fallujah on a moonless night, but that's far from the common denominator in urban America. The reality doesn't jive with the steely eyed SEAL Team 6 image a lot of folks have of themselves, but there it is. We all make our choices and we take our chances. My chances of needing a seatbelt are minute, when compared to the number of hours I drive annually v. the number of traffic crashes I get into. That's not a mindset, but again, a statistical reality. Of course, that doesn't stop me from wearing one. The choice to wear one is a mindset, the chances of needing one is statistical.

I know quite a few gun savy types who've been there and done that, that choose to carry a J-frame off duty. It's not my choice, but I'm certainly not stupid enough to question the mindset of very experienced people because their choice is different than mine. Assuming someone is lacking in training or mindset because of their weapon choice is just a bit myopic. Then again, I've just policed urban American for over a quarter of a century, so what do I know?
New century trooper, now who is being miopic? Today you are just as likely jumped by multiple attackers with semiautos , a 5 shot would really suck. You are right though, we all make choices & live with them, but like the seatbelt issue, there are better choices.
Semantics maybe bit it is a mindset, sure based on stats, but a mindset. If one carries for a "what if" & justifies their chouce as "not likely to ever needed it", then like the seatbelt, why carry at all? Jmo, but carrying a gun is a pita done right. So if I am bothering to carry one, I want to cover as many bases with it as I can, not just the lone unarmed or lightly armed thug. Jmo, its free & it was asked for in the thread.

Last edited by fredj338; 06-23-2018 at 11:04 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: